Located on the River Forth, Stirling is the administrative centre for the Stirling council area, and is traditionally the county town of Stirlingshire.
After the battle of Stirling Bridge, Wallace wrote to the Hanseatic leaders of Lübeck and Hamburg to encourage trade between Scottish ports (like Stirling) and these German cities.
The king died at the Battle of Sauchieburn by forces nominally led by his son and successor James IV.
Stirling's key position as the lowest bridging point of the River Forth before it broadens towards the Firth of Forth, made it a focal point Once the capital of Scotland, Stirling is visually dominated by Stirling Castle.
Stirling also has a medieval parish church, the Church of the Holy Rude, where, on 29 July 1567, the infant James VI was anointed King of Scots by the Bishop of Orkney with the service concluding after a sermon by John Knox.
During the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, the Battle of Stirling also took place in the centre of Stirling on 12 September 1648.
The fortifications continued to play a strategic military role during the 18th century Jacobite Risings.
The poet King was educated by George Buchanan and grew up in Stirling.
He was later also crowned King of England and Ireland on 25 July 1603, bringing closer the countries of the United Kingdom.
Control of the bridge brought military advantage in times of unrest and; excise duty, or pontage dues in order to defeat the Scots.
Having secured Stirling castle, they built the first stone bridge over the Forth.
Standing near the castle, the Church of the Holy Rude is one of the town's most historically important buildings.