The numerous “flirt schools” and flirting workshops across the country would barely survive the close of a business day somewhere in the Med.
Not all Germans are alcoholics, but probably the vast majority is workaholic. because for them, most of the time everything is fine. Fixing things at home is just one of their domestic capabilities, they also cook and clean, help with the kids, iron their clothes, walk the dog, and they even kill spiders in case you need.
They are very dedicated at work, and approximately 90% – I estimated that – of what they talk about after work is work. The rest 10% of remaining subjects of conversation involve football, cars, and maybe something they need to fix in the house. However, they don’t really know where dirty clothes should go, and they will complain every time you forget to open the window for at least 5 minutes during winter! What probably many of you don’t know is that they drink it almost every day, sometimes even for breakfast – here in Bavaria.
If 10 years ago someone had told me that I would be married to a German, I would laugh. Well, life is REALLY full of surprises, not only I married a German who speaks German, but one that also speaks my language too, Portuguese. Yes, our 3-year wedding anniversary is tomorrow, and while this post is being published, we are celebrating this day in Paris.
A husband who actually speaks that crazy language that sounds more like cursing, drinks lots of beer and only eats potatoes and sausages?
hmm, yes, just a little bit, but there is more to it. One of the first things I learned about a German man is that he can cry.
I mean, a lot, of happiness and sadness, and they aren’t ashamed of that.Forget genetic predisposition, or even cultural conditioning. Although, come to think of it, I’ve never been one for the adrenalin rush either.Perhaps it’s time I checked out one of those flirting seminars?For, as it turns out, every girl I know in this city has suffered the same disinterest. After all, my standards are based on the charming yet mostly hopeless British / Irish culture, where flirting mostly consists of clumsily sidling up to a girl at the bar and stuttering something incomprehensible, or later on, perhaps, drunkenly lunging at her on the dance floor.Fiona*, who’s been living here for 2 years, wasn’t at all surprised when I suggested that it was difficult to get to know men in Berlin: “Oh absolutely, you have to be really pushy here – German men never make the first move.” And Carola told me that in all her life, she had never once been chatted up by a German man: she is a native Berliner. My flirtatious encounters to date have been mostly unmemorable and rarely romantic.The Spiegel Online, in the run-up to the German World Cup in 2006, provided some guidelines for foreign fans looking to “score a German” after the game. The Deutsche Welle, offering advice to international students on the subject of flirting, also advises caution.